Sunday, October 12, 2008

Subang Jaya / October 2008

Somewhere between catching frogs and having full length conversations in my head, I saw Kheng polishing his ice cream cart. It was one of those slow, rainy Sunday evening and I was feeling lonely. At first I sat and watched him from afar, enjoying the silence that was strangely comforting. With a small hope of starting a conversation, I then moved my chair closer to Kheng. It annoyed him the same way you'd feel if someone was reading over your shoulder.

Me: It's my first day of job tomorrow...

[silence]

Me: Quick, wish me luck.

[silence]

Me: You know, I have to write a whole bunch of stuff for them. They have this section called 'Trial Run' where they test products, you know, like different heart shaped milk chocolates or antacids. You'll never believe what they've asked me to do...

[one Mississippi... two Mississippi... three Mississippi]


Me: Ketchup! Of all things... I don't even like ketchup. I mean, don't they all taste the same?? Anyway, I'm only telling you because I was-

Kheng: Trying to get some sympathy?

Me: Yes. I'm feeling restless.

Kheng: People go through it [starting work] all the time. What makes you so special?


What he said left me speechless. I wanted to kick him in the balls for saying it without even looking at me but he was right. Feeling embarrassed and slightly hurt, I got up to walk away. Before I could reach the door I heard Kheng say, "I'd sympathize with you only if you were still at home, in bed, doing nothing. Good luck and have a great day at work tomorrow."

Listening to: -

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the ketchup!! Think there's any connection btw that and the word 'kicap'?? If so how?

"We'll all float on OK" :)

Gaathumb! said...

Yeay for the first day of work!
Do you think Kheng would want to be friends with Natasha? That pig is getting awfully fat. Needs to exercise i reckon.