Friday, March 21, 2008

100 year-old building on Broadway, Sydney / Good Friday, March 2008

I tried making friends with Sabrina's brother's new pet ferret this morning. I let it out of the cage so that it could stretch it's tiny arms and slinky body.

The
furittus, a Latin word for "little thief", not only sleeps 20 hours a day, but it also has the habit of hiding small items in nooks and crannies. They're curious, very energetic and very interested in their surroundings. Did I mention they're carnivorous too?

I don't quite understand why you'd want to keep a carnivorous animal as a pet. They're sneaky bastards! They can take items around the house (toys, forks, keys, shoes, toilet paper roll) and stash them in hidden locations. And apparently, they form attachments to some items and will repeatedly steal the same items if it's removed from their hiding place.

Now, I tried making friends with a ferret this morning without knowing anything I've written above.

I let the ferret out and it ran around the room. Sabrina left the room while I tried to get the ferret to jump onto the bed. It got too curious that it wanted to climb up my dress. It did. I pushed it away. It came back (this must be the attachment thing). I tried to take hold of it, which aggravated it. It bit my left hand. Then it bit my right hand. Then my left hand, giving very little chance for me to shoo it away. Personally, I wanted to throw it away but the ferret's last bite on my right hand was serious. It bit my palm and latched itself there. I, having fears of a chunk of meat from my palm getting bitten off, had to prey the bloody thing's mouth open to release the bite. I got
feddup and carried it to the cage, while the ferret was having a go at biting my hands.

Gila right? Ferrets' teeth are damn sharp and banyak, fyi. I look at my hands and theyr'e just filled with teeth marks.

Sneaky kleptomaniac bastards.


Listening to: -

No comments: