Saturday, April 12, 2008

Chiang Mai, Thailand / January 2007

Azlan posted a photo of him with a turtle in Bali. It was him standing at the edge of the water, surrounded by bamboo fence. I guess it's a fun petting zoo for tourist but a cruel cage for the turtle... unless it's a rehabilitation centre. That's highly unlikely though. Turtle meat, not eggs like in Terengganu and Kelantan, is a delicacy there.

Someone commented, "is this giant turtle still alive? lol"

(you think?? dumbass)

Azlan replies, "about 60+ years old fyi!"

It wasn't just any giant turtle. It was a Green turtle.

!!!

Chelonia Mydas, or Green turtle in English and penyu agar in Bahasa Melayu, lives in coasts and islands in the tropics i.e. Pulau Redang.

In the few years I was in Terengganu, I've gotten acquainted with them. I've stayed up all night, slept on the beach, recorded data, tagged them, marked nests, dug up nests for relocation (those damn red ants and lizards), watched them swim in the bay just before dusk and released hatchlings back to the sea.

I've also taken care of one at the university. Mary, a fairly young turtle, was in captivity because they wanted to put a tracking device on her body. My job was to feed her, scrub her and make sure she had enough water in her pool.

Her favorite thing was getting her shell scrubbed. It made her dance.

:)

I still know these things after so many years. I've not been back at Chagar Hutang since I was 17. I've missed being around Man, Mahadi and a quiet beach.

I think it's about time I go again.


Listening to: -

2 comments:

willow90 said...

P. Redang's cystal clear water and marine life beckon.

it'll be nice to be close to nature again.

perhaps, all of us can have an outing to the east coast when u are back for good.

nais said...

yes, please!!!